From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:49:16 -0500
>I'm new to this group, but have been "lifestyling" Neanderthin for about
>8 weeks. I'm 6 ft tall and started at 250-I've lost 15 pounds.

good job!

>As expected, my most difficult challenges have been among friends and
>colleagues. I can certainly hold my own and I rigorously defend the
>Neanderthin way.

ya know, this always bothers me: why some people think they have the right
to comment on what others eat/don't eat.  tell them to butt out, unless they
ask in a nice way.

>A. Corn - Is this a "modern day" technologically produced vegetable?
>Where's all the carcinogenic study?

corn was domesticated around 3500-1500BC in America (p. 142, _Guns, Germs
and Steel_, by Jared Diamond, a really good book, btw).  this is too recent
to really allow for genetic adaptation.
carcinogenic study?  i think i recall something by Burce Ames, anyone else
know for sure?

>B. Potatoes - Toxic eyes? The most pesticidally bombarded food? Where
>can I find this proof?

i beleive it is because the wild potato is toxic, so would have been
unedible by paleo-humans.

>C. Beans - Other than flatulence inducers, what's wrong with Snow peas
>or String beans? They can be eaten raw.

same answer, i believe.  they are not grown wild, hence they would have been
unavailable to paleo-humans.

>D. Wine or Vinegar - Okay, so it's "yeast urine"...but is it going to
>dramatically change by blood sugar levels or have any other debilitative
>effect if I consume an occasional glass, or sprinkle a little on my
>salad? What about pickles?

i avoid them, maybe someone else could offer experential data :)
didn't Betty just say vinegar causes her to crave carbs?

hth, JoAnn.