BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:48:12 -0500
I beg to differ, but crushed limestone is not lime.  The burning of
limestone (or oyster shells as was recently demonstrated for us in
Williamsburg at the APT conference) causes a chemical reaction that drives
carbon dioxide and H2O out of the limestone to make it lime.  And slaking
lime is not adding water to hydrated lime to make lime putty.  Slaking
requires "quicklime" which reverses the some of the chemical process and
adds H2O back into the lime; and as the lime mortar is exposed to the air
over the years it carbonates with CO2.  the brickmaker at Willimasburg said
that slaking lime generates as much heat as it takes to burn the lime inthe
first place  (laws of thermodynamics= You can't win, You can't lose, and You
can't break even)