BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 07:35:16 +0000
Andrea,

There are some really fine books published from approx. 1860-1890 in
which the complex geometry of hand stone-cutting is explained in
excruciating detail, though I have not seen anything more recent that
goes into the geometry as thoroughly. The reason the books are from that
period is that it marks the height of the stone industry in America, and
the books were used by the local stonemasons for their immediate work
needs. I found them, and left them behind on the shelves, 25 yrs ago at
Cornell's architectural library. At the time I was studying them I was a
young stonemason, and of the opinion that I would never have a need for
such detailed geometry. Modern stone cutting, being heavily automated
and modularized, does not require complex geometry. Modern building does
not require it either. Even for replication of historic stonework if the
geometry is complex it can be computerized and, particularly for
limestone and marble, can be cut by a robotic machine programmed from
the computer. I also suggest you contact the Building Stone Institute as
they may be able to direct you to quarriers that retain the knowledge,
or at least have some old books.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/5836