RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pierre Gaumond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 09:37:41 -0400 (EDT)
Making some clean up in my files, I found the following.
Unfortunately, I lost the names of the authors of these texts.

==================

Some people have asked for references on fruit-eating.

"POPULAR"
---------

This list is copied verbatim from the most recent Fruitarian Network News. I
haven't read most of them. Those that I have, and recommend, are asterisked.

Moris Krok,     Fruit, the food and medicine for man
"               Formula for a long life
Arnold Ehret,   Mucusless diet healing system
"               Rational fasting *
H and M Diamond,Fit for life *
"               Living health
Ross Horne,     Improving on Pritikin *
"               Health and survival in the 21st century
V.Kulvinskas,   Survival into the 21st century
Leslie Kenton,  Raw energy *
"               Ageless aging
Herb Shelton,   Superior nutrition
"               Fasting can save your life
"               The hygenic care of children
H.Santillo,     Food enzymes, the missing link to radiant health
N.Walker,       Become younger
D.Collison,     Why do I feel so awful? *
J.Alexander,    Blatant faw foodist propoganda *
Elton Baker,    The "uncook" book
David Shelley,  Food of truth, the key to dietary perfection
E.Honnibal,     I live on fruit

"SCIENTIFIC"
------------

None of these are really about fruitarianism, they just provide some support.
Of course, for every article like this, you could find a thousand saying
something different, so you'll have to choose what you want to believe.
Overall, this sort of 'evolutionary' approach makes more sense to me than the
'ingredient-counting' style of most nutritionists.

Cohen, M.N. (1989),     Health and the rise of civilization
Dohan, F and Grasberger, J. (1973) Relapsed schizophrenia: earlier discharge
        from the hospital after cereal-free, milk-free diet,
        in American Journal of Psychiatry 18:685-8
Dohan et al (1984)      Is schizophrenia rare if grain is rare?,
        in Biological Psychiatry 19:385-399
Peters et al (1981)     The early hominid plant-food niche: insights from an
        analysis of plant exploitation by Homo, Pan, and Papio in eastern and
        southern Africa,
        in Current Anthropology 22:127-141
Peuch et al (1983)      Tooth microwear and dietary patterns in early hominids
        from Laetoli, Hadar, and Olduvai,
        in Journal of Human Evolution 12:721-9
Rensberger and Brody     Research reveals surprises about early human diets,
        in New York Times, 15 May 1981, page C1
Speth, J. (1989)        Early hominid hunting and scavenging: the role of meat
        as an energy source,
        in Journal of Human Evolution 18:329-343
Susman, R.L. (1987)     Pygmy chimpanzees and common chimpanzees: models for the
        behavioural ecology of the earliest hominids,
        in Kinzey "The evolution of human behaviour: primate models"
Walker, A. (1981)       Dietary hypotheses and human evolution,
        in Phil.Trans of the Royal Society of London B292:57-64

Susman is probably the most forceful argument that the early human diet was a
frugivorous one. Note though that this is controversial: many authors still go
for the 'man the hunter' idea, but the latter is losing support with time.

The Uncook Book
by E & Dr E Baker
Drelwood Publications.

  Raw foods are:
      easily digested
      more energy-giving, with less toxins
      less costly
      easier to prepare
      easier to clean up after
      difficult to overeat habitually on
      non-supportive or causing of degenerative diseases
      less prone to give you body odour
      good to stop incontinence
      emotionally stabilising
      good for diabetics and hypoglycemiacs alike

   One of the best things in the book is their use of sprouts. Grains and seeds
   have long protein chains and starches, as a fuel for the young plant. When
   we eat these things, our digetive system must break down the protein and
   starch into amino acids and simple sugars, respectively. This costs us
   energy and depletes our nutrient stores.

   Sprouts grow by breaking down these complex molecules, and so are
   essentially pre-digested. Most sprouts are also complete protein sources,
   and many have been called complete foods.

American Vegetarian Cook Book
by Marilyn Diamond (i.e. author of Fit for Life)

   This is the "greatest" cookbook that I've ever seen.  And it's all Vegan.
   Check it out and let me know what you think.