From:
"Aimee M. Bittinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:37:54 -0800

so far I have received lots of advice. seems like these suggestions would
work for any kind of skin problem-DH, dry skin, rash, excema, psoriasis.
This is good for me because I am not sure if I have DH or psoriasis.
there are a lot of products/companies mentioned and I have not called every
single  one myself but I trust my sources. I have no financial links to any
of them.

DIET advice:
Gluten free diet
include EFA (essential fatty acids) in your diet--Flax oil, borage oil, oil
of evening primrose
EFA are also supposed to be good for digestion as well
Milk products can exasperate skin conditions
drink lots of water

LOTIONS/oils/skin creams recommended:
Calendula ointment or Untica Urens ointment (harder to find) -homeopathic&
GF Calendula comes from a special marigold extract

Australian Body care (hand & Body lotion)- hydrates the skin and has a
natural antiseptic...helps skin keep moist and also helps reduce infection
-no gluten/gliaden in this product

Base Glaxol  and bactroban on sore areas
baths of oil and sea salt.
putting GLA directly onto skin or in bath water
Tea tree oil, Glaxol and bactroban

Vitamin E (as long as it isn't derived from wheat)

plain olive oil, avocado or almond oil, cocoa butter

cream by Nature's Way that is totally natural

Pure aloe Vera
plain sorbolene cream

Galderma's Candermyl and Cetaphil. (unsure if GF)-no reaction
Galderma Laboratories Inc.1-800-582-8225

Vaseline, Intensive Care Lotion Advanced Healing is gluten free
even better lotion made by Vaseline Intensive Care -New Solutions Skin
Repair skin protection cream. -unsure if GF

all Jergens products
anything from Lubriderm, Curel-all GF
recommended- Lubriderm Seriously Sensitive Lotion for Extra Sensitive Dry
Skin

Barriere AH cream-found in the baby section -chapped hands and lips

something with beeswax in it, tar based lotion

Aquaphor made by Beiersdorf, same company as Eucerin (put it on before
Eucerin) ingredients: petrolatum, mineral oil, ceresin and lanolin alcohol

wear 100% thin cotton gloves after applying lotion
available: art stores, pharmacies

The Body Shop's  Hawthorn cream

plain old Crisco, Vaseline or other petroleum jelly
baby / mineral oil

Pure Emu Oil and the Emu Oil Plus

Kiss My face has a GF moisturizing cream

Almay sensitive care cream, cleansing cream, or eye gel
Almay time-off day cream, day moist lotion, night creme

INFO on GF skin care products:
web site sponsored by the National Jewish Hospital in Denver

Abi's celiac page:
This is the index of the food categories on this site:
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html
go to toiletries

Booklet from Kollel-Los Angeles.   donations recommended
The booklet has Cosmetics and medications that are Gluten Free
usually at Passover.
Order from:
Kollel-Los Angeles
223 South Formosa Ave.
(213) 933-7193
or
Bais Medrash:
7159 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, California 90036

check archives, take down the 1-800 numbers listed on various
products.

CSA Commercial food list. $8.00
PO BOX 31700
Omaha, NE 68131        Membership is $28.00 for the first year
                                   Lifeline 4x a year and a great Handbook

shopping guide, send $10, payable to TCCSSG, to 34638 Beechwood,
Farmington Hills, MI 48335.

Environmental factors, etc:
chemicals in air
working with chemicals

dry air -run a humidifier when heat is on / keep a large pot of
simmering water, uncovered, on the stove during the day

Excessive dryness can also be thyroid related, besides being
seasonal.

!!!!!!
Thanks to all who replied. So far I have tried a few of the things. I am
using Eucerin lotion and looking for the others. I put some Vaseline
Intensive care lotion on during the day (they sell it in small trial sizes)
and after I get out of the shower (I heard it absorbs better before you
towel off all the water from your skin)
I am using a body oil by Sunshine that has almond, safflower, sunflower
seed, grapeseed, avocado, apricot, lavender oils and vitamin oil and
lecithin.
I also have a humidifier which is helping reduce bloody noses but no skin
help really. I put on tons of oil last night and I was so excited this
morning when my hands were somewhat smooth but now it is 5 o'clock and they
are back to being stiff and sore. maybe some better gloves?

I also have managed to find an alcohol-free mouthwash called Eco-DenT that
works really well.
the ingredients are:
sodium bicarbonate,water,castor bean oil,menthol,peppermint
oil,anethole,Echinacea extract,goldenseal extract,stevia,tea tree
oil,CoQ-10, Essential oils of Orange, lemon, sweet fennel, anise, geranium,
bergamot, fougere, lavender, rosemary, basil. rosefin
thanks for all who contributed. keep that skin moisturized!
-Aimee Bittinger