From:
"S. Pierce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:41:25 -0800

        I've used the following method for cooking rice for years without
difficulty.  The pan doesn't matter--heavy cast-iron, lighter alumninum,
etc.--so long as it has a lid.  To make smaller or larger quantities, just
adjust the amount of water and rice, remembering to use 1 1/2 times as
much water as rice.

1.  Put 3 cups of water, 2 cups of rice, and a dash of salt (optional) in
a saucepan. Bring to a boil.

2.  Lower heat to medium and cook until the water has boiled down to the
level of the rice (leaving craters in rice--but don't panic, it WON'T boil
away, and both the rice and pan are going to be fine).

3.  Cover and turn heat to low.  Cook for 20 minutes.

4.   Uncover, and fluff with fork.

        You get perfect rice, every time.  It is boring waiting for the
water to boil away, but I  just set the kitchen timer for 5 minutes when I
lower the heat to medium, and come back and check it then.

Sydney from Seattle