From:
Susan DeLuca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:07:54 EDT

The following is the most conclusive answer I received regarding the dill seed
question.  Thanks, Bobbie!  Some of the other resopondents thought maybe my
jar was mislabeled and may have contained caraway seeds.  Either way, I am
relieved to know that both are GF.  I may, however go buy some fresh dill.
Thanks to all who responded, it was very helpful.  I can enjoy my fish sauce
with a clear mind.

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:19:41 -0400
From: Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Susan,

The seeds in rye bread are actually not rye seeds at all, but
are caraway seeds. The caraway seeds are perfectly safe
and gf on their own, or in other foods (but not in rye bread, of
course!)  Dill is closely related to caraway, so that's more
than likely why they remind you of the rye bread.

Dill and caraway are not at all closely related to rye, nor to
wheat, barley or oats, which are all grasses. Dill and caraway
are the seeds of plants with many finely divided, lacy or even
thread-like leaves, and the seeds are actually said to be most
beneficial to the digestion! They are gf and make very tasty
toppings or additions to many dishes (as long as they were
not cross-contaminated at the manufacturer).

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore