RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 23:42:56 -1000
>Sally,  p.s. do my carrots scream when I juice them. >>

Aaron:
>Yes, they begin screaming as soon as they are ripped from the earth.

Indeed. According to recent independent research from both Iceland and
South Africa (I'm sorry, I just don't have the book available in front of
me right now but I'm sure I read it and, you know, well, there was a
footnote and it looked kinda official and, by golly, it just _has_ to be
true) carrots are actually a deep crimson when they are in the ground*.
When pulled up, fear-hormones rush into their ducts (if I may call them
that) relasing really special enzymes which act on the pigments resulting
in the carrot's color changing to orange. The leading theory on this whole
phenomena (phenomenom?) comes, surprizingly enough, from the field of
avant-garde primitive poetics. Boiled down for the general public it goes
something like this: there are lots of rhymes for red, but we're still
looking for a rhyme with orange; the native sentience in the modern progeny
of Queen Anne's Lace is crying out for respect, for it's unique place in
creation, and against modern pollution, or something like that. It's along
the lines of the whales beaching themselves.

Incidently, this is why rabbits, if put in a crib with an human infant and
a carrot, will eat the carrot and then proceed to change the infant's
diapers (often containing a strange shade of orange! go figure, eh?),
adding a pellet of there own before disposing of the whole mess at the
local landfill. Oh well, we can't blame the bunny wabbit--it just isn't as
highly evolved as us all.

Cheers,
Kirt

* Yeah, yeah, yeah, the orange part we often see in the top of the tubers
sticking up from our gardens is just the carrot practicing--kinda like
pre-cum.