RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:55:05 -0600
David Mayne said:
>I wouldn't venture to say what psychological underpinnings which
>lead to this fanaticism, but I do believe that the fanatics are
>so strung up on their own ego trip to consider the views of others.

Jo sez:
I reckon fear was a primary underpinning for my fanatical zeal. Another was
a lack of acceptance, both of self and others.

Fear, because the tenets that I held dearly to my heart (fruitarianism,
natural hygiene, 100% raw) represented my life. And to have someone tell me
that my life was wrong, hell, I wasn't going to have that! Better yet, why
not intercede and pre-empt any such attack on my self by doing what it
takes to convert those around me to comply with my beliefs and attitudes?
Sure sounds like aggressive proselytizing to me!

And when I couldn't accept myself (because of a lack of self-esteem) and
appreciate the uniqueness that I could offer to this world, how in the hell
was I going to be in any shape to accept others and respect their varying
viewpoints?

I'm glad to know that I've left all that behind and now I'm leaning more
heavily towards the traveler / trailrunner who's focused on having fun.
Enthusiasm has displaced the fear-based need to control and manipulate.
Gone also is the self-righteousness - to be right and make others wrong
(well, I'm still vexed by that raw hypocrite minister). I mean, I figure
getting it on and enjoying an optimistic, healthy, active lifesytle;
maintaining personal integrity; sharing my experiences with those who are
attracted to a similar path; setting an informal example for only me,
myself and I. Individually (and collectively with others) that's how I can
help trigger awareness about any particular body of knowledge that may
benefit others.

Other than that, I'm purdy happy with me and going my way. From this
foundation, it's a cakewalk to feel respect for others and appreciate the
differences they offer for us to consider.

Have a cool week,
Jo