RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:22:21 -0400
Ward:
> - What exactly is it that makes a fanatic fanatical? I.e., what is the
> underlying psychological motivation (perhaps/probably unconscious)? And
> especially how does that differ from someone we would call "reasonable" but
> merely enthusiastic (say a skateboarder :-) )?

Blind obsession, unable to listen to others, comes to mind, in the
fanatic. I recall something Peter Brandt wrote in reponse to someone
asserting the credibility of their reputation, which I found to be
profound:

"Repeating self-perceived virtues does not make a man more credible.  Grace
and dignity in discussing with people with whom he disagrees will."

How many fanaitics/zealots have you seen that can treat people whom
they disagree with  respect ? I think that the basic civility
that Peter alludes to above is a trait that is found in people who
I would not categorize as fanatics.

I wouldn't venture to say what psychological underpinnings which
lead to this fanaticism, but I do believe that the fanatics are
so strung up on their own ego trip to consider the views of others.

Interesting topic for speculation, Ward.

Regards,

David