RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:32:35 EDT
Hi Jon,

Last night in my sleep I found myself reviewing my day and realized that in my
post to you I may have sounded like I am an advocate of "juice fasting," when
I really am not.  Anyway, here are a few paragraphs excerpted from an article
I wrote a while back, on juicing.

Love, Liza

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I generally recommend that people eat whole foods, rather than fractionated
parts of foods (such as juices) whenever possible.  The complex biochemistry
of the body is designed to make the best use of the synergistic balance of all
the nutrients as they exist in the whole food. There remain many questions
about whether isolated, highly concentrated "doses" of any single nutrient
(such as in juices, supplements, or protein drinks) are potentially more
harmful than beneficial.

Nonetheless, there are circumstances under which juices might be helpful on a
temporary basis. For instance, because of the impairment of the intestinal
wall, individuals who suffer from "leaky gut" syndrome may only be able to
utilize minimal levels of nutrients through the normal process of digestion.
For these people, juices may be the best source of usable nutrition.

Juice "fasting" is sometimes recommended as a therapy for various ailments.
The term "fast" is really a misnomer in this case, since the body physiology
is profoundly different when food is taken in any form, than when on an actual
fast (the complete abstinence from food). Juicing might be more aptly referred
to as one form of an elimination diet, and might be useful as a more mild
detoxification method when an individual either cannot afford to take the time
off for an aggressive healing fast, or when for some other reason a true fast
is contraindicated. However for the reasons mentioned above, such a diet
should only be done on a temporary basis, with a specific therapeutic purpose.