From:
Chris Louth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:09:55 -0700
James Kerr wrote:

> Bill,
> This really depends upon whether or not your BIOS supports it.
> Check the CMOS settings and see if  there is an option to use a
> CD-ROM device as a primary boot device.  Then, you need a CD-ROM
> disk that has the DOS boot record and system files installed.
> You'll need a drive that writes CD-ROM, either CDR or CDR-W.  Use
> the format command in DOS with the /s option or in Windows with
> the copy system files option checked.  If your BIOS does not
> support it, you might check the BIOS manufacture's website to see
> if their is an upgrade that does support this feature.
>
> Jerry Rasmussen
>
> Hmmmmmmm, I tried this to make a bootable CD-ROM myself by having the
> systems files on the root of it but it did not boot I think there is a
> little more to it then that. Does it have something to do with "Rockford
> Extensions"? ( I don't know if that is exactly what it is called so don't
> laugh ) or does that have to do with autostarting CD's.

Well, jokes about The Rockford Files are writing themselves in my head
right now, but:

You are correct. There is a little more than that. The easiest way to do
it is to have CDR software that supports it - ie, Adaptec Easy CD
Creator.

In a nutshell, you need a formatted floppy disk, preferably with CD
drivers and an OS boot image on it. (you need a bootable disk) When you
create the CD, you will need to select ISO9660 format, bootable. The
program will read from the floppy disk, make an image of it, and place
it on the CD volume.

--
Chris Louth - [log in to unmask] - Omegan Adept Dragon -=UDIC=-
ICQ UIN: 1553228          _\|/_  S'imr-Li on UO Pacific