Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:11:01 +0000
        Hi.
        I'd be very surprised if CD vibration affects a disk to that extent.
I would think simply in a bad disk, or other component.
        When the dealer gives you again the system with the CD on top, if you
get the same corruption, you can test with the CD out of the case and see.

> To Mike and others:
>
> My 2 cents.  I just picked up a computer for my daughter.   Cyrix Pr200 with
> 2.1 GHd and a Smart 100x CDROM.  When I started to load some software using
> the
> CD Rom (Corel WPerfect) I started getting numerous crashes and blue screen
> errors "cannot write to Drive C".  When I recovered from that, I found using
> Explorer that the directory was trashed.  There were folder/file names that
> were
> unreadable and couldn't be deleted.  Needless to say, I took the system back
> the dealer.  (I think he is going to move the CDROM to the top bay, but I
> wonder
> if the cases are made internally of thin aluminum, how can they not transmit
> the
> vibrations generated from the near supersonic speed of the spinning CDROM!
> Further comments about this are welcome.
>
> Jean Bourvic
>
> Mike Buraczewski wrote:
>
> > I don't know if the vibration is severe enough to cause this problem.  It
> > sounds much more likely that you are just plain unlucky.  However, your
> > statement about the cyberdrive CD is interesting.  I think this is the
> > second message that has something about the Cyberdrive vibration, and I
> know
> > that 3 months ago, I upgraded a system with a Cyberdrive 24x that vibrated
> > like crazy with some CDs.  It has worried me since that I would be getting
> > that machine back for rebuild, but it seems to read alright, and has not
> > experienced a failure other than noise and vibration.  However, based upon
> > other messages like this, I don't think I will use the Cyberdrive again.

        There is correlation between "cheap" and "garbage".

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)