From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:15:58 -0800
On 15 Apr 98 at 1:11, Marlin (SCOTT) Kline wrote:

> Hi David, I am curious how to run memmaker under under Windows, I
> have tried and it tells me bad command or file name. I have Windows
> version 4.00.950 B and do not have Dos installed except what is
> installed from Windows CD. I am running Fat 32.

  I believe that version is OSR2; it may not even include memmaker.
My copy may date from the original release of Win95, or possibly
earlier.
  I use TweakUI to give me a startup menu.  If I want to run
memmaker, I choose "Command line only", and I choose that again each
time memmaker reboots the machine.

> As far as the scanning goes, I should have described that better,
> when I am scanning photos to put into jpeg, gif etc. the PC really
> slows down. I'm sure by adding more memory that should help that
> problem I hope.

  It may be that more memory will allow more of your image and
program to remain in memory.  It's *possible* that you're
encountering "thrashing", where your "working set" (the pages of
memory actively being used) exceeeds available RAM.  I wouldn't have
thought that was very likely with 32MB, but some scanning and
graphics applications need lots of memory.

  It could be useful to run the System Monitor (WINDOWS\sysmon.exe)
on your system, and see how different activities affect various
metrics:  CPU usage, Swapfile in use, free memory, and so on.  I
believe you'll find that when the machine gets slow, some metric is
going to be either too close to zero or "pegged" at 100%.
Identifying which metrics are relevant will help in understanding
what is slowing the machine down.
  [Paradoxically, the "memory" problems you've reported with running
out of conventional (DOS) memory and system resources are not likely
to be solved by adding more system RAM.  Your "performance" problems,
however, may be alleviated by doing that.]

David G