RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 11:20:23 -0700
>Stefan:
>> I doubt it since he showed this eating pattern for years. If you let your
>> instincts guide you there is no "I can eat this everyday" pattern. Your
>> needs   v a r y   over time. Some foods can be good for months but for
>> years and every week in big amounts? Nope.
>
>Don't lions (resp. cows) eat meat (resp. grass) for years and every
>week in big amounts?

there is a mistaken view of feeding habit of herbivorous animals when
we
take cows in a close field as an example.
i raised horses in free range in the mountains of south of France and
i can
guarantee that they move a lot to find specific plants at diferents
elevations , They will go at 2500 meters high some days to get the
"licorice
flavored clover" growing in abundance at this altitude , despite the
dificulty that they will encounter at grazing this very low growing
plants,
or the energy expenditure to get there. An other day they will be 1000
meters lower lookijng for carrying seeds tall grass and on and on.
Some
times they will stay on one spot for days getting the fill of a
particular
plant. Same observation for cows or sheep in free range . Ask a
shepherd if
he doesn't have to walk a lot to follow his sheep. In The pyrennees
there is
still a few of thoses shepherd who follow their sheeps all day long.
I have other observations here in Canada about deer (i am leaving
close to a
park). they roam a lot and choose their plants , In my garden they
will not
bother tomatoes til the day all the flower are out and in few days
they
graze them all , same observations with many plants they wait for a
specific
time to eat a plant ( they don't touch plums till the fall when they
graze
on the folliage every day for a while.
I don't know much about carnivorous animals but i doubt that they will
stay
on one species, my cat doesn't,  there is days  for mice , and days
for
birds...
And cows or carnivorous are very restricted in their diet , it is meat
or
folliage, humans are omnivorous in my opinions , and i can see in my
self,
attractions for more meat switching to  more fruits or  more vegetable
.
depending on seasons . It is true that i am interested to keep contact
with
the naturel fluctuation of avalability or palatibilty or foods (i am
not
interested by nettles once they get mature for ex.)
I am aware my self to not get into one food for too long , i am
suspicious
about any foods that i can get hooked on for months (like avocados for
example)
Attraction to one food doesn't guarantee that it is instinctive appeal
for
this food , there is more to instinctive eating than being led by the
nose...
JEan-claude