RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Jerry Knox BA, DC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:29:33 EDT
 Welcome to the list!  This is indeed an interesting topic.  Traditional
 Societies, especially Hunter/Gatherers, including Eskimoes, don't appear to
 get cancer the way Americans do, so perhaps it's the nature of domestic meat,
 or something else.

It is nature of what they eat. they are more intune with nature. Also the meat
is healthier, wild animals eat more naturally, obviously, and have less
cancers as well. So they have less to transmit to man. Also there is some
species specific problems. Cancers of animals that are more likely to affect
us are from animals closer to us. Obviously cannibals get diseases no other
society has, because of viruses in other humans being transmited this way. the
less related an animal the less likely it is to transmit disease to us, as a
generalization. So that worst food--- other humans, best food another
kingdom--- ie plants etc. Within the same kingdom the further the separation
geneticly the less likely are the viruses to be potent. this is in part why
fish is a better animal product than most other foods. Chicken is less
carcinogentic than mammal source foods again because they are less related to
us geneticly. the milk and other mammal products are most likely to carry
diseases to us since we are mammals too.  Still animal foods are not that good
for us, our digestive tracts and teeth etc, are not well designed for
consuming animal foods. We can eat them, but they have long term serious
health effects.

 How long have you been a raw vegan, or a vegan?

5 years

 What do you eat?

A fairly broad range of vegetables, about half raw, some that are too hard to
eat raw, such as potatoes, etc, I steam and then put over, collards, and other
vegies that are best raw, or better yet living. I buy some processed things,
not because it is best, but just to satisfy some desires in the stores, dont
eat out much, sometimes rice and beans at a mexican place with lots of salsa.

 Do you know any long-lived pure vegans?

Yes, I have met a number over the years. I dont believe being vegan was as
common a few years ago. But there were some in the 1930s. I have known a few
in thier 90s, that have been vegan for up to 70 years. Being vegan you tend to
skip, cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, and osteoporosis and many
other chronic degenerative diseases until a much greater age, which cuts the
length and quality of life of others in our society.

 Ithanks for asking

Jerry