RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 00:00:08 -0600
>>Now, I am mystified by Bragg's liquid aminos formula made from soy. Does
>>anyone have experience or opinions on this product, in light of the
>>potential problems with soy (his forumula is not fermented)?
>>Lucia

> in it is an excitotoxin, just like MSG.  Is this true?

Hi,
There was a long exchange on jr's rawtimes list (see rawtimes.com)
regarding the Bragg's Liquid Aminos. I had emailed the Bragg's company
about three issues:
#1 Is it really raw?
#2 How natural is it?
#3 Does it contain MSG? (And if so, why isn't it indicated on the label?)

They were gracious enough to answer pretty thoroughly without divulging any
trade secrets. #1, Liquid Aminos has not been cooked. The label used to say
NOT HEATED, then when the label was changed, that was omitted (accidently).
#2, The soybeans, while they are not cooked with heat, certainly go through
quite a change. My opinion, after hearing about the process, is that
Bragg's Liquied Aminos is a processed food. #3, Bragg's Liquid Aminos
contains high amounts of naturally occuring MSG. (No added MSG). The PR
woman who sent me the email agreed that it should be indicated on the label
and that she would bring it to Patricia Bragg's attention. (We'll see.)

I stopped using Bragg's because it makes me feel like shit. I think I'm
sensitive to MSG. I use sea salt in small amounts. No complaints

jon