RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elysa Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:11:05 EDT
HI,
Regarding sauerkraut recipes, Optimum Health Institute in San Diego has the
best.  Their phone number is:  1 800 993-4325.  Tell them Elysa sent you.
They have recipe books, programs, and lovely people that come and visit and
detox there.

The basics are to take the cabbage, carrots, beets, or whatever combination of
veges that you like - obviously cabbage is the basis of sauerkraut -  and
finely shred some of it, then, chop or mince the other portion - a 50/50 blend
of fine and corse is what I prefer, but suite yourself - some folks like
crunchy (more course) others like a smoother sauerkraut (more minced).  To
this blend you can leave it alone and  'kraut' it all by itself by placing it
in a large enough bowl to place large cabbage leaf pieces on top, and place a
heavy weight on top of that.  I have used a gallon water jug on top, filled
with water, and let it sit for 2 - 4 days depending on the heat and moisture
you live in - with.  This process will ferment the cabbage - the rest is
recipes based on taste.  Adding garlic, cumin, carraway seeds (my favorite),
miso, onions, broccoli, - in short get as creative as you wish, and in 2 - 4
days you have a lovely sauerkraut.  The top layer needs to be scraped off - we
fed it to the chickens we used to live with, or it makes perfect compost.

It stores well in a glass jar in the frig for weeks.  As for amounts, one to
three cabbages (red, green, or equal parts of each).  The spicing is entirely
up to your tastes.  The combination of the juices, the fermenting, and the
spices makes it such a delight - different every time.

Hope this answers that question - for starters anyway.

I'm back from a huge convention in Orlando, Florida with the AHA (American
Heart Association) for CPR.  Lots of good news for the public - new programs
for our heart.  I will be writing articles for the person who needs to eat on
the go - any suggestions ?

Look forward to input,