RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:39:16 -1000
Stefan:
>> non-instinctive methods. You found a method to overeat oranges by lea-
>> ving off the skins that would give the stop. How interesting! I was un-
>> aware of the tricks people invent to be able to overeat natural foods
>> as is their habit with cooked food. Wow!

Ellie:
>Are you serious, Stefan? When you eat oranges, do you eat the orangge
>part of the skin. I watched orangutans eat fruit in Malasia. Theyh shure
>ate the good parts only and threw out the rest.

Ha! Ellie, I can go one further. I learned how to juice oranges from
monkeys living freely around a temple in southern Thailand--they peeled the
citrus, chewed and sucked on the pulp and then spit it out. Must be too
stupid to know about Burger's ideas on instinct, eh? ;)

Seriously, the official instincto way to eat citrus seems VERY hard on the
teeth and gums to me. One might argue that citrus is best avoided or
minimized, but the instincto way contributes to gum tenderness in this
boy--tenderness which wouldn't become clear until after consumption.
Considering that Guy-Claude reportedly wears full dentures (as did his wife
before she died of uterine cancer), I can hardly imagine taking his advice
on eating citrus.

I suspect that juicing citrus and limiting consumption cerebrally is a
sensible way to eat citrus. Especially for someone like me who, because of
some gum recession (from following my "instinct" to eat so much fruit for
years), who finds deliberately annoying my lips and gums with citrus
skin--which seems obviously designed to protect the fruit within--to
engender a "truer stop" pretty dang silly. On the other hand, Melisa often
enjoys the white pith of citrus, which usually tastes like...well, pith to
me. But the skin? Come on...perhaps we should rub grapefruit rinds on our
genitals to keep from mating too much too, eh? ;)

I heard another great instincto thing about the "proper" way to eat a
pineapple which includes eating the skin. Which, not surprisingly, tears up
sensitive oral membranes, but brings the holy taste-change on sooner (of
course!). A swiss Army knife would serve as well...;)

Perhaps Burger says these things to keep people from overeating modern
fruit--but why would forcing earlier stops (by _intellectually_ mangling
your mouth on pineapple skin or burning your lips and gums with citrus
skin) be better than simply -intellectually_ limiting your fruit intake in
the first place? Perhaps the next instincto "trick" will be to wire the
mouth closed so that it hurts to try to eat at all and the "early stops"
will make up for the oversupply of modern foods...;)

Cheers,
Kirt