From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 10:03:10 +0100
Re: Compaq memory upgrade

> >        I have a friend that wants to add memory to his Compaq Presario
> >850(486/50).  Compaq only has recommended part numbers for Compaq memory
> >modules.  Is Compaq memory proprietary or can I install generic?
> >
> it's proprietary...like everything else by compaq...we tried adding 16 megs
> edo to my friend's presario 2500,it didn't work...you have to use thiers...

It ISN'T all proprietary...

I found Compaq's web site helpful when upgrading two Compaq Prolineas:
the support section includes line drawings of board layouts
and tables of memory configuration and jumpers.

I remember one of these specified Compaq memory in the first slot only,
but I was lucky and mine took generic memory.

You MUST have the motherboard version number (4 digits on a Prolinea)
to know which diagram applies.

I did find some inconsistencies comparing with the actual mobo,
so read critically, but the Prolinea went through a LOT of versions.

Overall I think Compaq deserve thanks for putting all this on the Web
and including so much data on old models.

***Another way you may be able to find out whether a machine
requires proprietary memory is to look at memory upgrade adverts
which list the upgrade part numbers: if the number
for your computer appears for other manufacturers too,
then it _probably_ isn't proprietary memory.

Or you could look up the Kingston equivalent for the Compaq part
and then look up the Kingston part to see if it's used on several
other brands.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933