NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:53:53 -0500
Kris Moore wrote:
< However, the more I read and learn, the more I believe
there is a group of people for whom the separation between
the two conditions is NOT so obvious or easy to identify.<

I sympathize with your daughter's problems, Kris. But her reactions
bolster my position. That she did not have a reaction to
the breath test would appear to mean that her symptoms are all
allergy driven, and not from LI. A surprisingly large percentage
of people with LI show no symptoms at all. On the other hand, milk
hypersenstitivity symptoms in children can be mostly gastrointestinal.

Just to clarify my position: The fact that milk allergies and
lactose intolerance are unrelated does not preclude a person
from suffering from both. It is also possible that damage to the
intestines from allergies, such as from gluten, may destroy the
body's ability to manufacture lactase, a problem known as
Secondary LI.

However, the natural decline of lactase production after weaning
is not known to have any external causes, and can't be speeded
up or slowed down by anything we know of now.

Steve Carper