BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:32:16 -0400
>Why is it we appreciate those ancient ruins, with walls missing and columns
>tumbled over, but we find we don't like the fact we can't keep our own
>modern structures from falling over (NYC, for example)?  A thought to
>ponder.
>-Pam

One of my former commission members, an architect, has had a lifelong
fascination with ruins.  Even as a kid, he was uncontrollably drawn to the
most dilapidated buildings.  His most recent rehab project, for his own
office, was a former machine shop/foundry building downtown that had been
abandoned for many years.  From the street it looked fine, but what no one
could see was that the roof sheathing had failed and most of the roofing
had fallen into the interior of the building.  The steel trusses remained
stalwart.  The accumulated detritus over the years was sufficient to
provide for the sustenance of a number of trees and shrubs.  He almost
couldn't bring himself to actually do the rehab, he so loved the oeuvre.
He very carefully documented the condition of the ruin, and the photos are
proudly displayed next to his rehab awards in the lobby.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director       "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                                 heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                                   -- Elbert Hubbard