BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maura Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:43:12 -0400
The same is true here in Ohio, where farmland preservation is the most
recent incarnation of "wise" use discussion.  For the past three years,
I've worked with regional planners, small farm advocates, legislators, and
a myriad of others on an effort to identify and protect prime farmland in
the state.  Despite some institutional resistance -- Farm Bureau seems to
be the worst -- a governor-appointed task force made some far-sighted
recommendations re. same. My frustration is that, even among my professional
"allies," there is great resistance to using the word preservation.

Planning authority is also weak.

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, George Kramer wrote:

> At 01:42 PM 10/7/98 EDT, Ken wrote:

> And by the way, here in the land of Wise Use we try to avoid "Preservation"
> in public discourse, as for most folks it equates with "tree-hugging
> environmental wacko...(fill in your  of choice.)  We scrupulously use
> "HISTORIC" whenever the "p" word is bandied about to keep physical violence
> to a minimum...great world, huh?
>
> George Kramer, M.S.
> Historic Preservation Consultant
> Ashland, Oregon

Maura Johnson, Field Services Coordinator
Ohio Historic Preservation Office
BGSU, Jerome Library, 5th Floor
Bowling Green, OH  43403
Phone:  419-372-6935   Fax:  419-372-0155