RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 06:14:04 -0800
[Sorry for new title - lost original post that I was replying to.]

Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>:
>When you were living in Florida didn't they tell you that the citrus
>*acid* drop is measured by titration instead of a refractometer?  And
>didn't they tell you that the picking started when the inspectors
>figured the *acid* had dropped low enough that a piece or two wouldn't
>permanently disable the stomach of unwary northerners.  Sadly, the
>backyard and organic growers, then and now, seem to take their cues from
>the commercial interests.  Actually, they were a little worse off.  They
>generally didn't want to spend the $100 or so for a titration kit.
>
>Are you still resisting walking over to one of the science labs and
>borrowing a refractometer?  If you did, you'd become a believer---quick.

Tom:
You continue with assumptions - the assumption that I ate unripe fruit.
In reality, I was quite savvy to the acidity issue. We did not pick or
eat fruit until weeks after the commercial folks did. They picked navel
oranges in early October - we waited until December to pick them.

Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>:
>BTW, is that Berry good piece you posted open for comment?  Or, is it
>forbidden fruit?  :)

Tom:
The article "Berry Time" by Steve Howe - I did not post it as I don't
have permisssion to do so. My article, of course, is open for comment.

However, note the limit of 5 posts/day on this list - this is #4 for me
today, so I get just one more post today. Folks can post but I might not
reply until tomorrow, due to the posting limit.

Tom Billings