BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:33:41 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/99 12:07:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Does anyone have any recommendations on articles/books written on the
history
>  of stone quarries (i.e. early cutting techniques, types of popular stone,
>  business practices, shipping, purchasing, etc)?

Heidi -

I did some research a few years ago on 19th C. bluestone. I found that much
of the bluestone was "harvested" by farmers cutting up outcrops on their
property. Then the bigger dealers would pick up the smallish amounts directly
from the farmers. It was a cottage industry in NY and PA for a long time.

It was pretty tough to get research materials on the subject, but you are
welcome to have a copy of my paper. Franny Eberhart, E. D. of the Historic
Districts Council once used it as background for a publication that
organization was going to put out. Don't know whether it was actually
published or not, but they may have gathered some other information as well.

There are a couple of quarries near Deposit NY. One is Indian Country, Inc.,
"Quality Delaware County Bluestone." Office and Yard: Sands Creek Road,
Deposit, NY 13754. (607) 467-2000 or (607) 467-3801.

There is another big bluestone quarry nearby, with huge automatic lazer saws,
computer programmed. Amazing to watch the enormous stone chunks sliced up
like butter. That company (can't remember the name) is a little closer to the
river, and a little to the SE of Deposit -- ask anyone up there -- I am sure
they will know the name. It has been in operation for many years, and are
proud of their history. I don't remember that they had very much written
material, though.

I interviewed another guy up there, a local who was very interested in the
history and beauty of bluestone. He was great to talk to, but I was a little
worried about the grenades hanging from the doorways, the rifles over the
mantle, the huge German Shepard. I haven't kept up my correspondence with
him. He is pretty famous for his knowledge of the industry up there, though.

Mary Krugman