BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - His DNA is this long." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:07:24 EDT

<< That state of affairs does not yet
 exist in preservation work, and I hope it never does. An ethical nightmare.

Bruce,

I'm not sure I understand your comment. In my preservation work I am
increasingly called upon by the architectural conservators to make the repairs
invisible to the eye and as closely matching to the existing as possible...
this becomes a nightmare as the demands for mimicry often outdistance the
capabilities of technology or technique. I get tired of dealing with
insurmountable materials application problems and the design professionals
standing there saying, "But Gus & Gus did it on my other project it."
Particularly when you know what Gus & Gus did was smoke n' mirrors and a bit
of sleight of hand. The applicability of  standardization has to keep ahead of
the inflation of unreal expectations produced by the graduate programs.

][<en