CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 17:50:45 -0400

Sorry for the delay.

So now for specific examples of avoiding the high blood sugars we may
experience  because of heavy reliance on corn and rice.  Corn and rice,
indeed, have high glycemic indices when eaten by themselves (glycemic
index defined by  blood sugar increase averaged over three hours after
eating some fixed number of carbohydrate grams of the food compared to
that of some standard (white bread?) of 100).

Solution 1: When eating several foods, the rise in blood sugar  doesn't
come from the sum of glycemic indices of the individual foods. There's no
way to predict what will happen except that digestion will be slower.
Hence the total rise will be less than sum of those coming from each food
eaten by itself. So avoid 100% bread(-like) meals!

Breakfast is always a kicker since fruit and cereal are the norm while the
depleted liver may not be quite ready to store its share of glucose to
buffer the BG later. Protein or fat is one obvious way to slow things
down, though Type 2s don't have the fat option. Aside from use of other
cereals (see later), I add a soy powder (Soya Granules) to cereals. Its
protein/carbohydrate ratio is about 2/1 with very little fat --Fearn
Natural Foods. In effect, a protein powder that can be used in either hot
or cold cereals as well as baking. For baking, the bean flours (Authentic
Foods) have that extra protein and a little fat built in.

At lunch and dinner, it's easier to rely on other ingredients. Don't
forget, that eating a meal slowly also helps. Salads slow things down as
well.

Solution 2: alternative sources of carbohydrates--after all, that's what
rice and corn, as well as the other traditional grains, are from the
standpoint of the diet. (I know there are those  who thumb their nose at
the recommended high carbohydrate diet for diabetics.  Yes, the human body
can digest and needs some daily minimal amount of protein and "essential"
fats, but it's designed to metabolize carbohydrates. Any diabetic who
thinks they've solved their BG/A1c problems by going lo-carb would be well
advised to have their kidney monitored regularly.)

First, decide whether you want or need GF bread, etc. in your diet. If you
do, then the various bean flour breads seem an obvious help, as mentioned
above. I may still try  again but with bean flour this time. I originally
discarded GF breads after a few tries at the bread machine -- perfecting
the bread texture so the low weight portion size didn't crumble too easily
just didn't seem worth my time. Frankly, I haven't missed bread and such
though I do rely on muffins occasionally from Foods by George for
breakfast variety.

So what other carbohydrates(, aside from fruit, which is also a fast blood
sugar riser)? Many vegetables have substantial carbohydrates, some  fresh,
some dried. All of the legumes, moreover, have very low glycemic indices
--get the dried beans and there's no contamination or non-GF ingredient
problem --lentils, green peas, black beans, red beans, etc. I nearly live
on bean soups for lunch in the wintertime, both some commercial soup cups
I can trust (Fantastic Foods, Food Adventure) and homemade. Easy to freeze
the latter in containers for carry-in lunch.

to be continued.

                     Kemp Randolph