BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:32:17 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/98 9:00:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

Location is everything. I await my load of mesquite.

The Friday story: wanting to stop water infiltration into the building the
project manager suggested that the contractor inject urethane foam into the
exterior walls, from the interior, at the baseboard level. This material is
not your Home Depot variety, it comes in a double cartridge and is mixed in
the nozzle as it is extruded under pressure. So the contractor shot the
urethane into the wall, and kept shooting it into the wall, the idea being to
fill up the space. The contractor was somewhat perplexed that the wall did not
fill up. Unfortunately the material does not solidify immediatly and has an
opportunity to expand for a while before it sets. This is the stuff that if
you put it between your window jambs and the wall makes it so you cannot open
your windows. Many a toolshop pioneer has had to shave down a door as a result
of playing with urethane foam. In this case the magic material found its way
down to the apartment below where the occupant was calming eating her oatmeal.
The foam expanded on her ceiling and then under strain of its own load fell
into her bowl. She found the mess upsetting. After consulting the MSDS sheets,
which list all of the carcinogens that contractors get to play with on a daily
basis, she freaked and is now suing.

This is not the first time that I have encountered downward flowing
construction materials.
Expect to see this in an upcomming G & E.
This is not bubble gum and represents what I was told to be a true story.
An aside: Is anyone aware of MSDS sheets for chewing gum?

][<en Follett