RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:37:59 -0500
Hi Lynton,

Alan wrote:
> As it is not the experience of all in this list, please refrain from
> trying to act as spokesman/woman for the list as a whole. 100% raw
> certainly is difficult for some for any number of reasons, but is
> neither impossible if it is planned properly and nor is it in any
> way detrimental as against cooked if it is studied properly.

Liza:
The above comments are made in an awfully rude tone. I hope, Lynton, that
you are not offended. I don't feel that you were trying at all to be the
spokesperson for the list, I think what you're trying to do is offer
beginning sugestions, to get a dialogue going, and I am appreciative of
this effort. I think, like I said in an earlier post, that it might not
make sense to either advocate or advise against any diet. But I'm sure
you'll probably agree with that, now that it's been mentioned.

Lynton had said:
> > Something about the pros and cons of eating raw.

Alan replied:
> I have often spoken about the cons..such as enzyme inhibitors in
> raw grains, seeds and beans, as well as a few other toxic substances
> in those veggies that most commonly grow in their gardens and such
> as the disadvantages of milk (or even why I personally don't
> eat meat) only to be met with derision rather than any serious
> counterarguments.

Liza:
Alan, what you have said so far said on this list, falls, almost entirely,
into the category of "opinion" rather than accepted "fact." If you feel
that what you're expressing is scientific fact, please support your claims
with some sort of evidence that others can use to make their own decisions
about the pros and cons of various foods. I really think it is you, and not
others, who have failed to provide serious arguments. And by the way,
anything you'd say about your own, personal experiences with foods, would
be very valuable. It's just when you make general statements about the
effect of foods in general, or the "rightness" of particular diets for
OTHER people, besides yourself, that you run into trouble.

Lynton had said:
> > Anyone interested in furthering this idea?

Alan replied:
> Nope...because you are attempting to tailor this list to YOUR
> way of thinking.

Liza:
Again, I feel the above statement is pretty rude, and completely off the
mark. I think Lynton's motivation is a friendly attempt to help things
here, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with trying to tailor the list in
any way.

(Lynton, please excuse Alan's tone above - some people evidently have a
hard time recognizing friendly, non-confrontational, constructive help. I
apologize for him.)

Anyway, like I said in an earlier post, I for one AM infact interested in
furthering your ideas, Lynton. And thanks again for being helpful and
creative and offering some thoughts to start the conversation.

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)