RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:50:55 +0100
Hi Thomas,

> Alan:
> >So we have 37 million US Americans suffering from osteoporosis in 1997,
> >although these people have the highest annual per capita milk consumption.
> >Thus there are a few other questions which need to be answered:
>
> >...long "party line" anti-dairy claims snipped...
>
> Just a side note. Last night I attended a talk (San Francisco
> Vegetarian Society) by Carl Phillips, moderator of the sci-veg
> e-mail list, and Assistant Professor of Nutritrion at the University
> of Minnestota.
>
> Anyway, Carl was sharply critical of vegan claims that milk did not provide
> calcium. He said there is overwhelming scientific evidence that milk is a
> good calcium source (and good for the bones), and that vegans should stick
> to other criticisms of milk - criticisms that are more factual.

An answer that most people funded by the milk industry give, i.e.
an answer which provides no contradictory evidence at all. Where
is it and who funded it? Is it not factual that most people stop
or severely cut back the production of the enzymes rennin and
lactase after they wean themselves off of (human) milk? What you
have said (that Carl said) does not explain the high levels of
osteoporosis in the USA at all. If milk is such a good source of
calcium as Carl claims..and you guys drink more of the stuff than
anybody else....

Best regards,

Alan

PS The vast majority of professors get to be professors by toeing the
line laid down by other professors. IOW, don't let the title scare
you or even blind you.