From:
Adele Stratton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:18:51 EDT
<< Another point is this:  The older your son gets, the less control
 you will have over what he eats.  And ironically, this is even
 more true as his condition improves.  Currently, my son is pretty
 good about asking if things have wheat in them and refusing them
 if they do, but I don't know how long that will last.  >>

If one person's experience will help here, I have a 15 year old son who is
allergic to wheat.  I figured this out when he was around 4 months old.  He
reacted to wheat I ate when I breastfed him--horrible rashes, ear infections,
and eventually asthma.  He went for many years without it.  Finally, by around
3rd or 4th grade, he caved and started eating wheat in social situations.
And, being at school every day IS a social situation.

I was "cautiously optimistic" that perhaps he had "outgrown" the wheat
allergy--he got no rashes or asthma.  BUT, what slowly and insidiously
occurred was that he started getting overweight, especially a huge gut, and he
became moody; he turned into a different kid.  But it was so gradual, that we
didn't really notice it.

By 7th grade his gut was really something.  I took him to a naturopath who
immediately diagnosed him as wheat allergic and full of candida. Within 2
weeks of eliminating wheat and treating the candida the gut was literally
gone.  And he really was a new kid.  Since then he has been virtually wheat
free.  (Not paleo--that's my thing.)  One day in the car I mentioned to him
that he sure was having a better time in 7th grade than he had had in 6th
grade.  "Mom," he said, "That's because I was eating WHEAT back then."  So,
even he could tell a big difference.

The moral of this story, I think, is that, yes, the social pressure to eat
what other kids eat is tremendous, especially as kids get older.  One thing
that helped tremendously in our case was that he had many years wheat free to
grow and develop into who he is.  When he started eating wheat, he had a long
time to "feel" how he felt when he was eating it.  Then, abruptly withdrawing
it again showed HIM how much better he felt and how much better her performed
without it.  And *that* has given him the strength and courage to stay off of
it since then.

Adele