From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 18:35:32 -0500
On 08/21/98 11:39:20 Robert wrote:
>1990:  Died anyway.

>That said, maybe living 150 years is possible if you are hungry all the
>time.
Sorry, but I just can't stand not to clariy this :)

a) The mainstream CR people do NOT really believe you can make it to 150
yrs, maybe more like 130 or a little more.  Maybe if you were locked in a
cell and given teeny mouse rations or something... but that would be
unpleasant.

b) I am working my way down on the scales (losing weight), but I am
currently at about 10% CR restriction.  I'll bet you'll never guess how I
am doing it.  No sugar, basically low glycemic carbs, lean protein, and
modest amounts of favorable fats.  No dairy (as of late), almost no
grains (also just recently).  Sound kind of paleo, huh?  At least my
version.  Am I ever hungry?  No.  The biggest stress comes from having a
wife that makes cookies and other little tempting (but nasty) items for
family functions.

10% is the amount which is expected to provide life extending benefits
(along with multiple disease reduction, all the big killers).  The amount
of research to back these claims up is very substantial.

>Audette -- damn him! -- has taken my vices away.  At
>least let me enjoy eating.
>
>Robert
Please, by all means, enjoy eating to the fullest!  Robert, if I didn't
enjoy eating then I would immediately elect to live 1/4 the normal
lifespan, riddled with diseases, but eating ad lib amounts of donuts,
muffins, black berry sundays, and of course tons of bread and milk, just
to start.  Fortunately, I have a choice to live a long time, but to eat
absolutely fabulous food.  There is so much tasty, good food out there to
support a CR diet that it is amazing.  Also guess what?  It is basically
paleo, or can be easily altered to be paleo.  This is my point in
bringing this up on this paleo list.  I am trying to tell some people
that their diets may be very close to, or already at, calorie restriction
levels.  Don't equate calorie restriction with hunger, at least at
moderate levels, because it's simply not true.  Maybe for certain obese
people who are hungry even when they are grossly overweight.

I was very surprised at the effect of eating highly nutritious foods on
hunger.  Eating nutrient packed foods goes a long way towards meeting a
person's dietary needs, including satiation.  A major reason Standard
American Diet eaters wolf so much food is because their bodie's are
trying to get enough nutrients.  White flour, sugar, and large amounts of
fat are very empty calories.  Nutrient packed calories are THE central
theme to CR.  The SAD includes almost 50% fat calories, and 25% sugar
calories.  No nutrituon in this.  No wonder people eat so much.

I just ate a huge salmon salad; in fact I couldn't finish it all.  Food
for thought...

James
"I think there's a world market for
 about five computers."