CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:43:11 -0700
I wish to state three things about "Darwinian ideas for the left:"

1) The Singer article would have the left act as a cheering section for the
right probably even to the extent that it supports the use of coercive
force in making goddamn sure that the fittest actually survive and in
style. It's not an indictment of the left to say that the left has had no
ideas. It's enough that there is a left if only to undo the latest scheme
of the right to privatize profits and socialize costs. A less loaded
article appeared in the May issue of "Prospect."

2) A revisit of Darwinian ideas is the happening thing. I'd like to see a
led and structured thread or seminar on this list. There are a ton of
relevant WWW references (Paul Krugman and other economists for starters).

3) Is it possible to identify the non-linguistic work of Chomsky in light
of the revisit  to Darwinian ideas? I am familiar with the statement that
Chomsky's political work is analogous to his linguistic work in positing an
innate human capability to reduce coercion.

F. Leon Wilson wrote:
>I find this article "interesting."
>
>Comments?
>
>F. Leon

>A glance at the June issue of "Prospect":
>Darwinian ideas for the left

[snipped]

>The magazine's World-Wide Web address is:
><http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk>

-- Wat Tyler