CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:21:16 +1100
Dan Koenig wrote:

>Will we ever know?  Could AI have been deliberately fed false
>information? Certainly there was more than adequate incentive to do so.
>I don't profess to know the answer, but the relative absence of bodies
>is puzzling, isn't it, especially with all of the amazing odor
>detection, heat and chemical sensing, etc. high tech of the U.S., both
>on the ground and from the sky.

We've disagreed on this before Dan, but actual physical murder of people is
not required for it to be genocide. The last of the Kosovar refugees, the
ones driven out of the country en-masse by the Yugoslavian government, are
now being sent back from the refugee camps around the world, including one
here in Tasmania.

Which reminds me that, back in the 19th century, the genocidal campaign
against the Tasmanian aborigines, possibly one of the most "successful"
acts of genocide in human history, (in the sense that the only Tasmanian
Aborigines that survive today are of mixed European ancestry) included the
deportation of the entire aboriginal population to one of the isolated Bass
Strait islands. The two or three survivors of that deportation were
returned to the mainland a few decades later, hardly anyone was actually
murdered, but it was genocide all the same.

I don't mean to imply that murder was or wasn't occurring, merely that it
is not crucial to the case.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas.