CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:55:11 -0700

Hi Fran,
At 09:02 AM 2/16/98 -0800, you wrote:

> I'm still very interested in
>knowing why so many people are having success w/ low carbing, yet the
>*official* diet protocol has not changed despite obvious results?

I have contributed some information to a protocol which is currently in
development, through NIH funding, for dietary intervention in diabetes. My
contribution was with regard to the gluten-free status of the diet, but I
understand that the overall diet is very low carb. So there is work
currently being done to bring in a new dietary protocol for type 2 diabetics.

>Is it just that said institutions are slow to change, or they feel like
>they don't have enough long term data? Or they hate to admit they are
>wrong?

I would argue that it is a paradigm problem. If you began learning about
the correctness of 2+2=4 in grade one, and continued to base much of your
life's work in higher math with that assumption underlying your work, I
suspect it would be very difficult for you to accept that 2+2= 3.66666
Not because the notion is inconceivable, but because it disrupts your whole
way of seeing the world and your life's work. A traumatic experience to say
the least.

>It just seems like SO many people fail on the ADA recommended diet &
>handing someone a 1500 calorie per day sheet of paper & telling them to
>*just do it* sets them up to fail miserably.

I'm not sure if this can be extrapolated to diabetes, but one of the
problems I have repeatedly read about on paleofood and low carb is that
some folks are not benefitted at all by the low carb approach, but are
aided by more conventional diets. But the posts I have in mind are from
folks who were trying to lose weight, so that may not really apply.

>What's up with that?
>I'm going to probe the low carb questions to the doctors @ the seminar.
>How can they ignore people (type 2's that is) being able to get off
>insulin & meds by doing low carb dieting & having excellent cholesterol
>& A1c results?

I hope you get some thoughtful answers.

best wishes,
Ron