RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:01:49 +0100
Hi Leah,

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how much raw nuts and seeds I should be eating on a
> daily/weekly basis?
> I seem to be craving the stuff at the moment and am eating what seems to
> me to be a lot (I don't want to over do it).

You should not be eating any seeds at all (and nuts only in season)
because they contain enzyme inhibitors (they generally inhibit trypsin
but some also inhibit other body enzymes such as amylase..wheat,
invertase and chymotrypsin..potatoes, protease..rye, transamidinase..
soy beans. Your best bet is to keep away from modern grains such as
wheat, barley and rye (they also contain too much of the protein
gluten/gliadin which gunges up your intestines) and either sprout or
at least soak (it is said that this also inactivates the enzyme inhibitors)
the rest. As Nature shows you, those seeds which are meant to be
eaten are not meant to be digested (hence the enzyme inhibitors and
hence their lack of value as a nutrient source) but to be ejected
in the faeces somewhere else as a means of propagation.

If you are craving for oil (which is natural if you are not getting
enough of the fat-soluble vitamins (such as beta-carotene or the
vitamins A, D, E and K) use cold-pressed vegetable oils and/or
fresh nuts and/or oily fruits such as avocados.

> P.S. Anyone going on Nature's First Laws Raw Food Retreat in Maui this
> summer?

Sounds interesting but I live in Bad Kreuznach (Germany)

Alan