CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:51:00 -0800
From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>

It's kind of funny Lynn, we say, people with these multiple chronic
diseases need to be better understood, and things need to change to make
it more tolerable. then when you say OK- what would you like to see in
an article, or here is your support group....
the mind draws a blank!

I was thinking one of the things that parents of kids with the duo of
diseases (or more) would like to see an article on how to incorporate
the care & diet out in the real world.
What would be reasonable expectations to ask of a school staff. Tips &
tricks of parents who figured out ways to make their child with special
medical needs fit in & feel comfortable.
Legal rights & responsibilities of schools to provide for the
adjustments to accomidate medical needs (testing, snacks, special
medically required foods).

I still think there is too much hit & miss in the sub ingredient
listing....of Gluten containing substances.... I would love to launch a
massive campaign to urge the FDA to require GF labeling on both foods &
drugs. For living in the information age, GF information is not up to
snuff. Wouldn't it be great to look at a Nutritional Label & just like
you can read carbs, fat & cholesterol levels..... be able to know at a
glance if it is gluten free- without having to read all the fine print
(and still not really KNOW if it contains gluten or not!).

If anything- tighten up the really vague stuff like "natural flavoring"
"modofied food starch" and "vinegar". We need more specific labeling!

I'd like some "final word" on some of the so-called controversial grains
the different US groups can't seem to agree on.

I'd also like to see a 1998 dietician's breakdown of recommended menu
samples for a diabetic/Sprue diet-- how to adjust for the high carb GF
diet while maintaingin DM  control.

that's all I can think of for now.....

fran