RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:04:40 +0200
Liza:

> that $30 is REALLY REALLY expensive-sounding, for a luxury item
> like a book, for most people. And by the way, I'm fully aware of the
> fact that I'm saying 'most' and not 'some.' I do believe that MOST
> people fall into the category I'm describing, when it comes to health
> care and $300 for a 'consultation' or $30 for a book.

Anyway, people who can't afford books at $30 can't afford to eat the
"Aajonus" way. The cheapest foods will always be grains, tubers and
legumes. For that reason, raw diets are usually more expensive than
SAD, except if based on sprouts. Paleo diets are expensive too. So, if
you want to promote healthy ways of eating in a democratic way, don't
recommend 100% raw diets (since not everyone is willing to become
sproutarian). There are many ways to improve the SAD which won't cost
a penny, like: don't use salt, don't eat cookies/chocolate/sweets/cakes,
drink spring water instead of coke, cook as little as possible. And a
few things that will only cost a few dimes like eating more salad
(I've met people who NEVER eat lettuce).

Re: the price of books. $30 is more expensive than average. On the
other hand, you are lucky in the U.S. that books are more affordable
($30 wouldn't be unusually high for a book in France). Hopefully, you
can read for free in public libraries (or even at Border's or Barnes
and Noble's). Granted, you won't find Aajonus' book there, but I don't
think other books deserve less to be on the shelves... except that raw
food is still not very popular these days.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>