RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ratha Grimes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:45:41 -0400
Susan Carmack wrote:

> What is bee pollen good for? Does it contain
> vitamins and minerals?

Everyone seems to agree it does.
At least, all the companies selling herbal products on
the web that come up from a search on "bee pollen" say
this. They also say that taking it can eliminate
allergies, and that it stimulates the adrenals.

> Can you OD on beepollen? What is the big deal about
> this stuff?

At this point all four personal accounts of reactions
to bee pollen that I know of have been emphatically
negative. When I had a heaping teaspoon of it, I felt
heady and almost stoned for several hours. My
housemate tried less than a teaspoonful that evening
and couldn't sleep that night until 7am. My other
housemate tried some the following day, and didn't
experience effects until the day *after*, but he told
me he felt light-headed and "like I'm going insane."
I also heard from someone via personal email that he's
felt a marked improvement in his general mental
clarity and physical health after discontinuing its
use.

I also understand that there is a fairly good chance
that your ordinary bee pollen contains pesticide
residues, since most apiaries in the continental US
suffer from the honeybee mite. It is claimed that
these chemicals don't get into the honey, but they
could make it into other products such as pollen, so I
would make sure the pollen is from an organic source.
Jon Fox made a nice post about this on the live-food
list.

Happy experimenting.

Ratha

--