From:
David Nasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 18:36:39 CDT
Good Folk,

I've got a little P5 system with Tyan 430TX mobo, Pentium 166 MMX,
64 MB SDRAM, WD 3.2 UDMA HDD. It has been behaving nicely for
months.

Today I power it up and it performs maybe 75% of the boot and stops.
Windows NT logo is on the screen. The HDD LED burns continuously.
No evidence of disk activity (no audible sound, etc.). On the second
try, it boots OK. I run Norton Disk Doc. on the 1 gb C: and Norton
sez no problems detected.

If the thang stops loading software and the HDD lite stays on, it
__has__ to be hardware. Right?? So maybe theres a sporadic and
hard-to-replicate fault in the HDD??

I'm open to any suggestions, any advice. Does Western Digital have
diagnostic programs on their site that I should try? Etc, etc.

  TIA,
  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]  **
** Univ. Mo. St. Louis              **                              **