From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 06:23:02 -0700
Sara Levin wrote:
 My son is autistic and would benefit the most
> but he is very resistant. My question is in regard to my 13 month old daughter. I
> would like her to eat more of a paleo type diet

My son, Gray-Hawk, weaned himself at 12 months and for the next year ate
almost nothing but pemmican (he first tasted it at 3 weeks old). The
other todlers in his day-care also loved it, lining up every time the
pemmican can was brought out.  We used pork rinds for teething.  Now at
3, his favorite food is beef ribs.

That Gray-Hawk and his cousin Nichole (Michael's daughter) are the most
intelligent children in their respective schools is not surprising.  The
leading cause of reduced IQ in children worldwide is iron deficiency.  As
stated in the Oct 91 issue of Scientific America.
"In the past several years researchers have found that iron
deficiency is associated with often irreversable impairment of a
childs learning ability and other behaviorial abnormalities. Lack of
iron also results in much lower resistance to infections. Poor absorbtion
from the predominatly vegetarian diets of most people in developing
countries is a primary cause of iron deficiency.  For the poor, meat is
expensive and consumed in small quanities or not at all.  Iron deficiency
and anemia affect the majority of individuals in such populations.
Vegetable sources of iron are poorly absorbed, for instance only 1.4% of
the iron in spinach can be taken in by the body vs 20% of the much more
plentiful iron(twice as much per gram) found in red meat. "

BTW, the traditional baby food for Inuit is fish head soup.  Fish heads
are the fattest parts of arctic fish.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander