From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:42:01 ADT
> She says you need at least 30%
> carbohydrates to avoid pulling protein out of your muscles.  Does anyone
> know if this is true?

According to my body, no, it is not true in the least.  I definitely
do not eat 30% carbs, have not in over two years, and I am getting
stronger.  Our bodies are designed to be able to run on protein and
fat.  Yes, there are a couple body parts (I know only of red blood
cells and a *portion* of the brain stem) that require glucose to
function, but given sufficient protein intake, the human body can
easily manufacture the glucose necessary to nourish those cells.
Complete proteins provide all the necessary building blocks to
manufacture glucose.  As long as there is sufficient protein in the
diet, our bodies have *no need* to scavenge our muscles for protein
because there is already plenty of it in our systems.  Our bodies
aren't stupid.  They don't have any need to break themselves down
for raw materials that are already in abundant supply from the foods
we are eating.