From:
phyllis walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 01:45:36 -0400
Daniel Quinn has written 3 novels with this premise:

> Could grain be the 'apple' that led to the fall of Man??

Although not because of any opiate quality in the grain, but because grain
storage/control of food gave a small group control over a larger group (hunter
gatherers).  I'm oversimplifying his ideas here but I found his books
delightful and thought provoking, made me think hard about the paleolithic life
v. the neolithic life  and the present problems of our world:

> << You are not generalizing I think. Agriculture has done as least as much
>    evil to our minds, as to our bodies. >>

I thought his ideas were wonderfully subversive (I just love challenges to
lemming-think).  The paleo way of eating dovetails quite nicely with the theme
of these books, so much so that when I  discovered Neanderthin, I said to
myself "but of course!"

Ishmael, The Story of Q (I think), and My Ishmael are the titles.

pax,
phyllis