BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:19:28 EST
>"No one need be concerned about us ordering a major demolition of historic
>beach landmarks.  We are concerned only about the proliferation of trashy
fast
>food operations, tacky art deco hotels, and the like. . .  We have an
>opportunity here, and we will vigorously pursue it before the coastline
>changes again."

-- A representative of the California Coastal Zone Commission

Subj:    El Nino Coastal Changes Revise Coastal Zone - With a Vengeance
Date:   4/1/98 1:44:28 AM EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Brad Torgan)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask] (Multiple recipients of list)

>Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:38:22 -0600
>From: "Patrick A. Randolph, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: DD 4/1  El Nino Coastal Changes Revise Coastal Zone - With a
Vengeance
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Comments: Real Estate Lawyers Discussion Group
>
>Daily Development for
>Wednesday, April 1, 1998
>
>by: Patrick A. Randolph, Jr.
>Professor of Law
>UMKC School of Law
>
>Readers are urged to respond, comment, and argue with the daily development
or
>the editor's comments about it.
>
>ZONING AND LAND USE; COASTAL ZONE PROTECTION; JURISDICTION:  Coastal Zone
>Commission's  extension of its authority to properties within 1000 feet of
>newly created "coastline" following El Nino related  erosion is valid and
>not a
>taking, even as applied to properties developed prior to such change in the
>coastline.
>
>Frolic v. McDonald's Restaurant 666, Inc., 333 Cal. Rptr. 3d 999 (Cal. App.
>1998)
>
>Plaintiff owned and operated a McDonald's Restaurant at a location just
>east of
>the Pacific Coast Highway.  Prior to recent developments, this location was
>more than 1000 feet from the public ownership portion of the California
>coastline and outside the jurisdictional limits of California's Coastal Zone
>Commission as provided in California's Coastal Zone Management Act.  During
El
> [...]
>a judicial decree that the Commission lacked jurisdiction to regulate the use
>of the property because (a) it was outside the Coastal Zone; and (b) in any
>event, its rights to operate had "vested" when it put its property to use at
>time that the property was farther away from the coastline than it now is.
>
>In affidavits filed with the court proceeding, the landowner alleged that
>Commission employees had stated that the Commission was likely to find that
>the
>McDonald's store constituted a "visual blight" impeding the public view of
the
>coastline, and to refuse to grant an operating permit, unless the landowner
>agreed to grant open space easements over the landowner's other properties on
>the west side of the Pacific Coast Highway.
>
>The trial court issued an order staying the actions of the Commission, and
the
>Commission brought an accelerated appeal under the Costal Zone Management Act
>to the Court of Appeals.
>
>Held: Reversed: The Coastal Zone Commission has the authority to require a
>permit for McDonalds to operate, has discretion to determine that the
>restaurant constitutes a visual blight, and the Commission's action, should
it
>exercise such discretion, would not constitute a taking.
>
>As to allegations that the landowner had a Constitutionally vested right to
>continue operations, and that shutting down the store would deprive the
>landowner of "investment backed expectations" in violation of the Due Process
>Clause,   the court indicated that "anyone investing in property near the
>California shore knows that beach property is subject to erosion."
>Consequently, landowners are on notice of the possibility that the
>jurisdictional area of the Coastal Zone Commission may shift over time.  The
>"vital interests of the community" in preserving the visual beauty of the
>California Coastline justify the Commission taking such severe steps as
>terminating uses that are inconsistent with that goal, even if those uses
were
>undertaken prior to a shift in the shoreline.
>
>The Court commented that "the Constitution provides no guarantee to sell
>hamburgers in the middle of a park, and California has declared its coastline
>to be a park.  Any business activities therein are subject to public control
>and prohibition."
>
>Comment: In a study commissioned by McDonald's and filed with the court, an
>consulting firm estimated that, due to recent changes in the coastline caused
>by erosion, more than 300 square miles of property along the California coast
>have become subjected to the reach of the Commission.  The study estimated
>improvements of such properties to have a market value is excess of $50
>billion.
>
>The study further pointed out that changes in the coastline in North
Carolina,
>South Carolina and Florida due to recent shifts in coastline have brought
more
>than 500 square miles of properties in those states within the reach of their
>coastline protection acts.
>
>A representative of the Coastal Zone Commission stated, following the ruling:
>"No one need be concerned about us ordering a major demolition of historic
>beach landmarks.  We are concerned only about the proliferation of trashy
fast
>food operations, tacky art deco hotels, and the like. . .  We have an
>opportunity here, and we will vigorously pursue it before the coastline
>changes
>again."
>
>Items in the Daily Development section generally are extracted from the
>Quarterly Report on Developments in Real Estate Law, published by the ABA
>Section on Real Property, Probate & Trust Law.  Subscriptions to the
Quarterly
>Report are available to Section members only.  The cost is nominal.  This
>particular report, however, is an April Fool's Day Spoof, and should not be
>taken seriously. For the last six years,  these Reports have been collated,
>updated, indexed  and bound into an Annual Survey of Developments in Real
>Estate Law, volumes 16, published by the ABA Press.  The Annual Survey
volumes
>are available for sale to the public.  For the Report or the Survey, contact
>Stacy Woodward at the ABA.  (312) 988 5260 or [log in to unmask]
>
>Items reported here and in the ABA publications are for general information
>purposes only and should not be relied upon in the course of representation
or
>in the forming of decisions in legal matters.  The same is true of all
>commentary provided by contributors to the DIRT list.  Accuracy of data and
>opinions expressed are the sole responsibility of the DIRT editor and are
>in no
>sense the publication of the ABA.
>
>Parties posting messages to DIRT are posting to a source that is readily
>accessible by members of the general public, and should take that fact into
>account in evaluating confidentiality issues.
>
>ABOUT DIRT:
>
>DIRT is an internet discussion group for serious real estate professionals.
>Message volume varies, but commonly runs 5 - 10 messages per work day.  Daily
>Developments are posted every work day.  To subscribe, send the message
>subscribe Dirt to

>To cancel your subscription, send the message unsubscribe DIRT to the same
>address.  For information on other commands, send the message Help to the
>listserve address.
>
>DIRT is a service of the American Bar Association Section on Real Property,
>Probate & Trust Law and the University of Missouri, Kansas City, School of
>Law.  Daily Developments are copyrighted by Patrick A. Randolph, Jr.,
>Professor
>of Law, UMKC School of Law, but Professor Randolph grants permission for
>copying or distribution of Daily Developments for educational purposes,
>including professional continuing education, provided that no charge is
>imposed
>for such distribution and that appropriate credit is given to Professor
>Randolph, DIRT, and its sponsors.
>
>DIRT has a WebPage at:
><http://cctr.umkc.edu/dept/dirt>http://cctr.umkc.edu/dept/dirt

Listowners:            Brad Torgan, [log in to unmask]
                       Jim Wadley, [log in to unmask]
A service of WashLawWEB, Washburn University School of Law
     http://lawlib.wuacc.edu/washlaw/washlaw.html