RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:45:09 -0800
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>:
>On the subject "where do people who don't use dairy get their calcium
>from?", I came across an abstract which says that the calcium absorption
>rate from soft-boned Bengali fish is 24%, which is about the same as
>the absorption rate from milk. It is concluded that soft fish bones
>constitute a good source of calcium.

Tom:
Good point. At his recent talk, Carl Phillips (Vegan, Ph.D. in nutrition)
claimed that calcium can be problematic in vegan diets and suggested
that vegans consume fortified (supplemented) orange juice or soymilk.
Some greens are rich in calcium, but may be high in calcium inhibitors
as well.

Tom Billings