RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
roy siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:18:03 -0500
>We just harvested our butternut squash, and I'm wondering if anyone knows
>the best way to store it.  Last year my partner washed it and put in down
in
>the cool cellar on some metal shelves.  By late winter we had lost several
>of them.

If you have only lost a few by mid winter you're doing pretty good by my
standards.
I just wash or brush the dirt off and store squash in as close to root
cellar conditions
as I can come up with.  Most of my squash last only 2, somtimes 3 months.
Last year I asked two squash growers at the farmers  market about storage,
and they
both said 2 months is about as long as you can expect to store squash.
If you find a better way please inform.

>Anyone have a recipe for raw butternut squash?  It tastes ok, but better
>cooked to me (the little babies though are soooo tasty when raw -- real
>sweet and tender).

Spahatti squash is the only squash I enjoy raw.  The raw baby butternut
squash
sounds like a fantastic idea.  Thanks, wish I had some to eat right now.

Best Regards
Roy Siegel