RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 16:56:26 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>So I sometimes end up eating things that've been sprouting for 2-3 days.
>What would the nutritional value of the sprouts be at that stage?
>Are there drawbacks to leaving them this long?

>Is it better to adjust the quantities I leave to sprout or should I simply
>put it all in the fridge after a day or so of sprouting?

Tom:
The young/short sprouts are kind of a pre-digested grain. Sprouts that are
long are more of a vegetable (especially if they are 4+ days old and/or
greened). Some sprouts that are 2-3 days old are kind of in-between the
two descriptions here: some of the seed reserves have been turned into
cellulose, and alkaloids may be forming.

Try them both ways - short and long - and see which way you like each
sprout best. Also, see how your body reacts to the different ages/lengths
of sprouts.  (Some sprouts are best when short: sesame gets bitter when
long, almond turns rancid before getting long. Wheat sprouts can be
too sweet when long, and lentil sprouts can get tough when long. On the
other hand, mung, alfalfa, and many others, can be grown long.)

I refrigerate most sprouts when the root is approximately the length of
the soaked seed. An alternative approach is to restrict the quantity
you sprout to the amount you normally use.

Regards,
Tom Billings