From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:43:05 -0400
Floppy first.  This is pretty simple.  If you have an on-board controller,
did this motherboard ever have an expansion card controller installed?
There is a chance the mobo still is set with the floppy controller disabled.
Also check proper diskette size under standard setup in CMOS, should
be 1.44 diskette for A:, right?  What does the BIOS report on screen as
part of the boot? Does it have "uninstalled" next to drive A:?  If you are
using an expansion card for IDE, check for floppy disable jumper.  How about
Hard Disk?  My guess is the hard disk is not set to the same size it was
when it was last fdisked. For instance, almost all IDE drives use a
translation for cylinders.  Any values for cylinder head tracks that do not
exceed the total size may be valid, but if you change these, you should
run fdisk again.  I recently had a hard disk that gained an extra 2 meg when
I manually entered Seagate's values for it instead of using the values set
by auto-detect in CMOS, but I had to run fdisk again to make the system
boot.  You will need to get the floppy on-line to check this out.
Tom Turak