Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:24:44 -0500
Has anyone on this list had any experience with getting a crashed hard
drive repaired by one of those data recovery companies.   At work, I have a
lady who had about a years worth of very hard  work saved only on her local
hard drive.  She had a tape backup in her PC and a network file server that
is backed up available to her..she didn't bother to use them.  She was
actually in tears over the loss of the data... Her hard drive now just
makes a couple loud clanking noises when you turn on her PC. Sometimes you
can hear it spin up, then spin down again after it makes the noises...  The
drive is a 1.2 gig Western Digital Caviar 21000.   I would bet that  her
data is probably still intact  on that drives platters..can the platters be
transplanted into another drive mechanism and the data saved?   I would
appreciate a response from anyone who has had any experience with this.
Very sorry if this is off topic..but I need the wisdom of the list.   If
you have had any experience with specific data recovery companies, I would
appreciate references.

Sincerely,

Roger Puett