From:
"Gary R. Tennesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 06:54:18 -0700
  It will likely shorten the life of the hard drive and/or the power supply.

My machine is gowing on 3-year's now with shut downs averaging about once
every other month.

I started leaving it on when I noticed that the old Novell servers I worked
on were always on and never seemed to have disk failures.  A friend who
worked at Seagate told me that the hardest work a drive can perform is
starting up everyday.

--gary